Secrets From Myself - Christine Hart

Christine Hart has done a very good job with this book. She easily slips between the past and present and brings the details of the story to light very well. To me this book is geared towards mid to late teens and young adults, but I enjoyed it myself. There are some part of the book that are not appropriate for younger teens in my opinion. I do feel the Katelyn's character should of been older. I don't know many 11 year olds who are quite as advanced as her character.

In the book 11 year old Katelyn is psychic. She hears voices from the past, has vivid dreams in which she is a different person and now she is writing in her diary in someone else's language, handwriting and feelings. As she tries to prove this is really happening as she says her mother decids she has mental health problems and puts her into an institution.

Katelyn decides to do do research to prove this is real and that Akasha was real, as was her plight. Akasha is the person who is taking over her body and writing in the diary. She leaves notes in the diary of her thoughts and feelings. Her loneliness, her sorrow, and her pain. We see how her life ended up after stowing away on the SS Komagata Maru in her boyfriend Sanjay's trunk to come to Canada and start a life together. When they get to Canada and the ship and passengers are turned away the trunk she is hidden in is thrown overboard. Akasha is finally able to escape the trunk and make it to shore. She finds out the passengers of the ship were not allowed to disembark she is left all alone, with no money, no clothing, and no idea of how to survive or return home. She has to figure out a way to survive.

I love the history aspect of the book, and that true events were woven into the story. I have personally never heard of the SS Komagata Maru. The ship carrying 376 passengers from Punjab, British India was turned away from docking in Canada in 1914. This was part of the exclusion laws in Canada and the United States were used to exclude immigrants of Asian origin in the early 20th century. Yep I looked it up. Even though I saw nothing about anyone with Akasha's plight it was still a great history lesson.

I received this book from the Author and Goddess Fish Promotions to read and review.