In the Dark - Chris Patchell

In the Dark is the first book in the Holt Foundation Story series by Chris Patchell. It is a Dark mystery. It deals with kidnapping and murder of teenage girls. There are no real graphic in depth scenes in the book. I did get confused in a few places in the book. The book does bounce around a bit between the characters, and following all of the different characters and parts of the story had me a bit lost at times unless I was setting still. The least distraction would get me off track, but only for a minute or two.

In the book Marissa Rooney's teenage diabetic daughter Brooke has been missing for a few days. Marissa finds her daughters insulin and knows that she has no time to waste in finding Brooke. At first the Police want to treat this as a runaway case. Other girls have also come up missing, and when bodies start to show up its a whole new game. Along with the fact that Marissa's very powerful and influential boss Elizabeth Holt has asked Marissa to help her start her new foundation to help families of violent crimes. And also takes on Brooke's case as her first client.

The kidnapper is brought into the picture very quickly in the book, you know he is the one, but you have to wait till way later in the book to understand his motives.

The book does not focus strictly on the kidnapping and murders. It is like a TV show Pilot. It introduces you to the main players of the series as well. you get their backstories and see where they will become valuable characters in the rest of the series. At least that is the way I am taking it.

Lisa Stathoplos and Corey Gagne are the narrators of the audio book. Lisa does the female based chapters and Corey does the male chapters. You get points of view from pretty much everyone in the book, and they are broken down by chapters. In my opinion they both have done an excellent job. They both brought feeling and depth to the characters they portrayed and the story as well.

I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by Vicky Loebel. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.