teresasearsnoel

T's Stuff too

Calling the Reaper (First Book of Purgatory 1)

Calling the Reaper (First Book of Purgatory 1) - Jason Pere I have to admit I don't usually read books of short stories but I was really surprised by this one. I set down with this book and could not put it down. I read late into the night, went to bed, got back up and read some more then finished it the next morning. All of the stories were very interesting. They were quick stories. There are 8 stories in the book. Each story was about a different person in a different time and land. How they lived and what led to their deaths. In just the few pages of each story, the author truly introduced you to the character, let you understand why the people led the lives they did, why they made the choices they did, and in the end you understood why they made their choices, right or wrong . For example the Pirate as a child was saved from a disease by his sister, later on she was struck by a sleeping disease and he over the years done everything he could to find the cure for her. In his quest he pillaged and murdered from ships he knew to carry medical supplies hoping to find the cure for her. When he finally found a person who could cure her, he himself was killed. This is just one story though. The others all have different reasoning in the people making their decisions.

I love how the author did not waste time and paper getting to the point of each persons story. You were filled with just enough background to drag you into each story. The stories were not overwhelming either. Though they may be short stories you had everything you needed.

I will be looking for the next book in this series to see if at some point the author ties all of these people together int he afterlife.